Re: critical issues

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 14:41:16 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> One in-the-middle approach is to check out package managers that are
> offering LilyPond releases.  I know, for example, that brew offers a
> version of LilyPond on Mac OS X.  If we provide a list of package
> managers and how-tos for the techno-phobic, that may be enough to
> maintain (and even grow) the user base.  It has the added benefit of
> pointing people to better resources than those we could maintain
> in-house: I think that jEdit plus the brew version of LilyPond, for
> example, is a more compelling package than the GUI we distribute.

It sounds to me like Frescobaldi might be a nice base for a good total
package for systems with GUI-centric use patterns.  I have looked at
neither LilyPondTool nor Frescobaldi myself (GUIs are totally not my
thing), but maintaining a compelling GUI/editing package requires a
constant and focused effort, and I have the vague impression that
Frescobaldi is maintained with more of a "core vengeance" rather than an
addon spirit.

Emacs could be a nice package as well since its info reader beats every
other Lilypond information system hollow (unless you get precompiled
info files without included images in which case it is mostly
pointless), but its support of ly and lytex (and, to a degree, itexi) is
not as strong as to put it solidly ahead of the glorified duct tape
class.  Tying lytex, ly, and itexi into the AUCTeX machinery would make
a very impressive offering, but that would entail quite a bit of work.