Re: critical issues -- hope you're having fun

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: critical issues -- hope you're having fun
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:49:16 +0000

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 02:57:24PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> James <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > My question to David, because I am not getting where the 'ire' is
> > coming from, why do you care if we release dev after dev release vs
> > stable?

Yeah, especially since Carl was *already* making good progress on
the GUB-related critical issues.

> <URL:http://xkcd.com/386/>

yep.

Let's cut to the chase: I am an evil semi-overlord.  I jealously
guard my ssh login to lilypond.org (along with Han-Wen's and
Jan's), I am fickle, and I like to play with small kittens.  Due
to my evil fickle nature, I am not going to change the stated
policy until it has been in place for at least 12 months.  Any
critical issue will block a stable release.  I am chuckling
maniacally and delighting in how evil and wrong I am being.

Don't like it?  You have three (effective) options:
1. don't add regressions.
2. fix (or help fix) any critical issues.
3. build your own binary releases.

Finally: I bet that Hitler had strong opinions on when open-source
projects should release stable versions.

Hugs and kisses,