Re: critical issues

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 23:47:50 +0100

W dniu 8 stycznia 2012 10:11 użytkownik James <address@hidden> napisał:
> Start by looking here:
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=&sort=priority&colspec=ID&x=type&y=priority&mode=grid&cells=tiles

Umm, guys, there are 629 open issues in the tracker, and we don't have
"priority" field to sort them in any way.  I'm sure that Luke asked
for some concrete suggestions, and i think a good answer might be
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=opened-after%3A2011%2F7%2F1+Type%3DMaintainability%2CScripts%2CBuild+status%3AAccepted+&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Stars+Owner+Patch+Needs+Summary&x=type&cells=tiles
(recent build and maintainability issues - important for improving
development workflow)

>> is there a person (several people?) that could answer
>> such questions [about code style]?
>
> Janek used to be that person, but he gave up.

I didn't have competence to answer questions about how code should be
written.  I was only helping to get the grips with the development
process, that's all.

W dniu 8 stycznia 2012 10:11 użytkownik James <address@hidden> napisał:

> 2012/1/8 Łukasz Czerwiński <address@hidden>:
>> What's the aim of Lilypond?
>
> err..
> "LilyPond is a music engraving program, devoted to producing the
> highest-quality sheet music possible. It brings the aesthetics of
> traditionally engraved music to computer printouts."

According to our motto the aim of LilyPond is "music engraving to
everyone" - i'd say it's a very good goal.  It would mean that a
person with average computer skills (like navigating a web browser and
using word processor) should be able to create very good engravings of
not-so-complicated music (e.g. Mozart's "Ave Verum").  I think we're
quite far from this goal; conductor of our choir didn't manage to
switch to LilyPond.

> Sibelius and Finale cost hundreds of pounds, LilyPond is free, there
> is no 'competition'. The output of LP in 99% of cases is much better
> out of the box than any of those packages can manage -

I'm sorry but i think that's not true.  Look at the attached pdf -
these are examples of problems in very basic areas of Lily-made
engraving.  Finale delivers better results in these cases, see here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7yvb8c
I'd say that there's roughly 50% chance that a score would have more
than one case of a problem like that.

2012/1/8 address@hidden <address@hidden>:
> I have never not responded sooner or later to a question from a newb
> (including Janek when he was starting out) about how to do something in
> LilyPond.

I'd rather say "including Janek every time he tries to do anything",
for what i'm very grateful :)

cheers,
Janek