Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:50:21 +0000

mailto:address@hidden
wrote:

> > I think you misunderstand what git rebase does.  git rebase
> > origin/staging does *not* bring origin/staging into dev/cg;
>
> really?  wow, I completely misunderstood that.

Yes.  git rebase just changes the *attachment point* of the branch.
So although
the source code in the current directory will change with git rebase,
the branch
itself won't.

Carl, you are wrong.  You can, at your choice, read the manual page of
git rebase, or do a few experiments on local branches.

git rebase most certainly brings the commits of the specified branch
into the checked-out branch, and puts the non-common commits in the
checked-out branch on top.  There is no way that the commits will get
out again by a pure rebase (without --onto option), so if the commits
get removed from origin/staging for some manner, they most certainly
will stay in dev/cg if that has been rebased on the old origin/staging.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/