Re: Sketch for DotColumn not triggering vertical alignment. (issue 55380

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Sketch for DotColumn not triggering vertical alignment. (issue 5538049)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:45:27 +0000

LGTM.

Now I see why this bug appeared.  The recent changes to the beam
configuration code need to know the note-spacing, which depends on the
horizontal dot positions. So, dot configuration may not wait for
beaming.

The code configuring dots was (indirectly and wrongly) causing
rest-collision to run, which (in rare cases) needs to know the beam
configuration so as to avoid a stem.

If I get the point, a 'pure' (read "before line-breaking") estimate of
rest position is always sufficient for purposes of dot configuration.
(Code comment would be nice.)

If so, dot-column may run on rests before rest-collision sets their
final positions.  This would be good, because then rest-collision would
be free to avoid beams and stems. (Comments in that code warn us to "try
not to look at the stem".)

http://codereview.appspot.com/5538049/diff/4002/lily/dot-column.cc
File lily/dot-column.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5538049/diff/4002/lily/dot-column.cc#newcode216
lily/dot-column.cc:216: // do the X-offset properly.
Might this comment now be obsolete?  It is about the fix to issue 1088.
If so, we could unravel some of this complication, later.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5538049/