Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:59:57 +0100

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:47:11PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> The test-patches.py script can likely make use of the techniques in
>> lilypond-patchy-staging.ly with regard to doing an offside build with a
>> defined starting point not relying on whatever happens to be checked out
>> in the main repository.
>
> Don't get confused here.  Don't scare people away from doing the
> staging-merge by talking about test-patches.py.
>
> test-patches.py is a completely different problem than the staging
> merge.  I agree that a solution for test-patches.py should be
> found, but that's not as urgent, nor as TRIVIALLY easy to fix, as
> the fact that you are the only person running the staging-merge at
> the moment.

I am not sure what the problem is with anybody else running it.  You
call it, and it complains about LILYPOND_GIT not being set.  Then you
call
LILYPOND_GIT=/usr/local/tmp/lilypond
/usr/local/tmp/lilypond-extra/patches/lilypond-patchy-staging.py
(assuming that your full repository copy is in /usr/local/tmp/lilypond)
and it complains that the configuration in ~/.lilypond-patchy-config is
wrong.  You call a text editor and insert directories and paths suitable
to your system in that file, and that is about it.

There is not much to make this easier or better discoverable short of
adding a complete configuration program that will write the respective
data.

I have to admit to not even reading the CG here.  I just ran the script
that had a title suggesting it would do the right thing, and it
apparently did after I addressed its rather clear complaints.