Re: Creates a MIDI note length formatter (issue 5576062)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Creates a MIDI note length formatter (issue 5576062)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 11:24:07 +0100

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, now I understand - thanks for pointing this out.
>>> And it is not about swing alone, see:
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=687
>> You are confusing the quality of one implementation with the qualities
>> of the approach as such.
> Probably.

I have not reread that link but remember the discussion.  I seem to
remember that one example mentioned in there is Viennese waltz.  And in
contrast to swing, Viennese waltz AFAIR is indeed basically a
per-measure time warp resulting in a slight accelerando at the end of
each measure.  It does not disturb the relations to n-tuples to the
beats, and you would not want to see it affecting the spacing.  So that
would indeed be susceptible to do with MIDI time warps exclusively, but
as long as LilyPond does not in other means try to capture expressivity,
this seems somewhat pointless.

With swing, however, there _is_ an exact timing implied by the notation,
and one that _does_ affect note spacing, so it is more important that
LilyPond offers a way to get this right to a degree where it is
proof-audible.