Re: Unbound variable GUILE error when no whitespace before closing brace

From: James
Subject: Re: Unbound variable GUILE error when no whitespace before closing brace
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 07:51:41 +0000

Hello,

On 5 February 2012 07:30, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> The variable is not } but 0.9} instead.  Anything that can't be parsed
> as a constant in Scheme is a variable.
>
> This has nothing to do with Lilypond:
>
> address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ guile
> guile> 0.9}
> ERROR: Unbound variable: 0.9}
> ABORT: (unbound-variable)
> guile> address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$
>

> You could likely say
>
> #(define 0.9} 0.9)
>
> and have the above work except for the missing closing brace.  There is
> absolutely nothing that LilyPond could, or even _should_ be trying to
> fix here.  Scheme is Scheme and outside of LilyPond's responsibility
> regarding syntax and semantics.

Thanks, I have no problem with that, it's just a case of 'If I made
that mistake then someone else sure will', and wanted to make sure I
understood why and if we need to warn users in the doc.

We already do :)

from the LM

'However, whitespace is required to separate many syntactical elements
from others. In other words, whitespace can always be added, but not
always eliminated. Since missing whitespace can give rise to strange
errors, it is advisable to always insert whitespace before and after
every syntactic element, for example, before and after every curly
brace.'

Hooray!

James

James