Re: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:26:12 +0000

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 01:51:03PM +0100, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> Why is your organization applying to participate in Google Summer of
> Code 2012? What do you hope to gain by participating?
>     Most importantly: more contributors
>     surely: new code
>     also: spreading news about LilyPond, getting programmers interested
>     additionally: some money for mentors to enable them spending more
> time on LilyPond (?)

The money goes to the project, not to individual mentors.  Could
you check their FAQ to see if there's any "we're a small project
with no independent legal body to take the $500; what happens to
that money?" question?

> If your organization has not previously participated in Google Summer
> of Code, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
>     We didn't apply. (did we?)

We did not.

> What is the URL for your Ideas page?
>     TODO.  If you have any more ideas, please post them in this
> thread: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-02/msg00340.html

I hate the wiki, but I guess that might be a good place to put the
ideas page.  The wiki page should be protected, and give a link to
the issue tracker as well.

> What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
>     address@hidden

I would list this as a rarely-used channel; virtually all contact
is through lilypond-devel.

> Who will be your backup organization administrator?
>     Carl? (Graham would be the main one?)

Hmm.  What's involved for the organization administor?

> What criteria did you use to select your mentors for this year's
> program? Please be as specific as possible.
>     commit history, activity, their own declarations ?

LGTM

> What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
>     To not have them disappear, we'll ensure that mentor contacts them
> every x days;
>     we'll also encourage them to split the work into separate
> not-too-big patches to keep them motivated.

ok.

>     We'll ask them for phone number just in case and use it if they
> don't answer for some time.

Not certain about this.

>     If they can't be reached, we ask the mentor (or someone else if
> available) to get the work to a state when it can be used, at least
> partly.

-1.  Mentors have enough work; none of the work from students
should be critical, so if they abandon it, we'll just keep their
git branch around and/or put the patch in the tracker as
Patch-abandoned.

> What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
>     Choose backup mentors before that happens?

Sure.

> Are you a new organization who has a Googler or other organization to
> vouch for you? If so, please list their name(s) here.
>     No

Han-Wen.

> Also, from what i understand, we should have mentors declared for each
> project in our Ideas List (i.e. mentoring GSoC student is a personal
> responsibility).  Who is interested in being a mentor?  You get $500
> for this.

No you don't.  $500 goes to the project, not the mentor.