Re: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:39:28 +0100

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think FSF/GNU project can and has acted as organization in the past.

I guess so.  GSoC FAQ says this:

"5. What tax related documentation is required from mentoring organizations?
We will need the following tax related documentation from mentoring
organizations or umbrella organizations:
    For organizations based in the United States, we will need a
completed IRS form W9.
    For organizations based outside the United States, we will need a
completed IRS form W8-BEN."

I'm not familiar with IRS forms, but i guess the "umbrella
organizations" part concerns us and FSF/GNU.
Shall i contact FSF or maybe someone who is more widely recognized in
GNU will do this?

>> If your organization has not previously participated in Google Summer
>> of Code, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
>>     We didn't apply. (did we?)
>
> We did not.
>
>> What is the URL for your Ideas page?
>>     TODO.  If you have any more ideas, please post them in this
>> thread:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-02/msg00340.html
>
> I hate the wiki, but I guess that might be a good place to put the
> ideas page.  The wiki page should be protected, and give a link to
> the issue tracker as well.

Why not have it as a part of our website?  I mean, a completely
separate page on lilypond.org.  I don't think it needs to be
eye-candy.

>> Who will be your backup organization administrator?
>>     Carl? (Graham would be the main one?)
>
> Hmm.  What's involved for the organization administor?

see here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#org_admin_role
seems quite like the stuff you're doing.

>>     If they can't be reached, we ask the mentor (or someone else if
>> available) to get the work to a state when it can be used, at least
>> partly.
>
> -1.  Mentors have enough work; none of the work from students
> should be critical, so if they abandon it, we'll just keep their
> git branch around and/or put the patch in the tracker as
> Patch-abandoned.

ok

>> Are you a new organization who has a Googler or other organization to
>> vouch for you? If so, please list their name(s) here.
>>     No
>
> Han-Wen.

ok

>> Also, from what i understand, we should have mentors declared for each
>> project in our Ideas List (i.e. mentoring GSoC student is a personal
>> responsibility).  Who is interested in being a mentor?  You get $500
>> for this.
>
> No you don't.  $500 goes to the project, not the mentor.

True, but i thought we (LilyPond, the project) were intending to give
them to mentors?

thanks,
Janek