Re: Cross-staff stem engraver (was: New frog in an empty pond?)

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Cross-staff stem engraver (was: New frog in an empty pond?)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:49:12 -0500

Quoting Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> wrote:
I tried writing an engraver that could be added to the StaffGroup
context.  Collecting stems is not a problem.  The problem is that even
the finalize handler is called to early.  I'm getting a warning:

programming error: vertical alignment called before line breaking
continuing, cross fingers

It's a little hard to guess what's going wrong without knowing exactly what
you've tried. Are you trying to do layout logic in the engraver (ie. by
collecting stems, reading their properties, doing calculations and then
setting more properties)?

Yes, except that I'm not setting anything yet.  The current file is attached.

If you are, the first step is to move the layout
logic into grob callbacks.

I guess I'll need to redefine the stencil for stems. Or maybe you mean some other callback?

I did a similar thing before. I put all the logic into a function that was used to redefine the length property of the stem. It worked for a simple case of two stems, but failed when three stems needed to be connected. The Y-extent for at least one of the stems wasn't calculated yet.

I also tried setting Y-extent, but it's read-only.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin