Re: Difference between list and cons*

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Difference between list and cons*
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 17:55:25 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> David,
>
> I noticed that in a recent patch you changed from constructing property
> lists with list to using cons*.
>
> I'm not questioning your decision.  However, I'd like to gain some
> understanding.  Why was it necessary (or at least desirable) to make the
> change?  As far as I understand, the difference between list and cons* is
> that list puts '() at the tail of the list, while cons* puts the last
> argument at the tail of the list.

And that's exactly what this change was about.  In this particular case,
I had constructed a list where the last element was property-path (or
something like it).  But the actual form of the entry used elsewhere was
such that the _tail_ of the list represented property-path, not the last
element.  While I was trying out something else, some parts of LilyPond
(I think the documentation formatter) blew up around me because I had
missed that difference.

> Any light you could shed on this would be helpful to me.

Does the above help?