Re: Axis group interface ignores column rank for pure-from-neighbor-inte

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Axis group interface ignores column rank for pure-from-neighbor-interface (issue 5843063)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:54:24 +0100

On Mar 20, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Keith OHara wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:51:04 -0700, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:36 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>>
>>> do you still need this change ?
>>
>> It looks like I do,
>
> I had expected that separation-item.cc calls pure_height with start=0 and
> end=INT_MAX for horizontal spacing; then the original test would do just what
> we want without your change.  Now I vaguely remember that breakable columns
> get their skylines differently.

This was theoretically buggy, as cached skylines for items should always go
from 0 to INT_MAX but they were sometimes being passed other starts and ends.
I've rectified this in item.cc in the newest patchset.

> Somebody asks for pure_height of a SpanBarStub with start and end only one
> measure apart, to which the honest answer from a SpanBarStub would be its
> height if that measure were alone on a line, but the answer seems to be used
> for horizontal spacing of longer lines.  That is not good.

The extra-spacing-height solution fixes this.

>> have pure-from-neighbor-interface [affect] only extra-spacing-height
> That would make more sense, but you need to pick a base Y-extent from which
> the extra-spacing-height extends.

My new patchset uses an empty extent, which gets ignored unless
extra-spacing-height is tacked on.