Re: my GSoC application - please review! (also, who will be my mentor?)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: my GSoC application - please review! (also, who will be my mentor?)
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 13:55:46 +0200

On Apr 1, 2012, at 1:24 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:

Do you think i've chosen a good order of attach in my plan?
My problem is that i will have significantly more time in the second
half of the project.  However, i've read that it's better to start
with the most important (on thus often most difficult) part of the
project, because it's better for mid-term evaluations.

Start with horizontal spacing.  Always start with horizontal spacing.  Everything comes down to horizontal spacing.  Horizontal spacing.

I'll try.  However, GNU application guidelines say

"What software will be added or changed? What parts of the project's
code will be affected? Which documentation will you update?
When we read this section of your proposal, we will be trying to
figure out how well you understand what needs to be done. We're more
likely to accept proposals from students who show us that they know
what needs to be done."

- that's why i tried to say something about the technical details.

It's just the opposite - the use of technical details shows a lack of clarity of understanding, as it attaches importance to things that may change depending on the implementation as opposed to design.  Stay on the design level.  I'd define early on the concepts of engraver and grob and then use them as a ritornello.

"Remember to mention any periods during the summer when you won't
actually be available to work on the project"

Just mention the periods - don't mention why (or just put exams).  The less text the better.  Imagine that every word they read costs 1 unit of attention down the line for something that's really important.

Why do you think i should not mention this?  Is it because it's a
"negative message"?

No, because it is undercutting the worth of your work.  GNU is not there to finance other LilyPond developers - they're there to finance you.  You need to be confident and assertive and sell yourself.  They need to have the impression that you know exactly what you're doing, know exactly how you're going to go about it, and that you're worth every penny of what you're going to do.

Cheers,
MS