Re: State of the pond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: State of the pond
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:59:41 +0200

Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> writes:

> Le 20/04/2012 23:42, Graham Percival disait :
>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 07:38:06PM +0200, Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:
>>> Le 19/04/2012 21:30, Graham Percival disait :
>>>
>>> Will you cherry-pick downloads from FTP, or should I push them
>>> directly on release/unstable?
>>
>> I'm not going to be cherry-picking downloads from FTP.  If you
>> think it's absolutely necessary to include those in the 2.16.0
>> release, and if you're not going to break anything, then push
>> directly to release/unstable.
>>
>> We do not have a long history of flawless git actions from
>> translations, so my preference would be not to touch anything.
>> That said, I can't recall any problems from FTP updates, so it's
>> probably ok.
>>

> Sorry, I didn't express myself very well.  I usually download updated
> po-files from FTP and push them to staging.
>
> It is important to have them with 2.16, since the "About automatic
> language selection" string seems to no longer be picked up from
> Documentation/po but from the binary's po. And some doc string, which
> I consider as important, have been modified.

I'd suggest that you do the same (namely push to staging), wait for
migration into master, check that the result agrees with your
expectations (I think the automated tests are not likely to cover this
well) and then ask Graham for permission to cherry-pick the respective
commit from master into release/unstable.  Test again and push.  And if
there is anything like mysterious merge conflicts or whatever else,
abort operations.  Regarding "do not have a long history of flawless git
actions from translations", most problems have been with automatic or
manual "salvaging" of mysterious conflicts.