Re: What's with the test-patches volunteers?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: What's with the test-patches volunteers?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:57:22 +0100

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:17:06AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It is close to two months that I have been the only person running
> > test-patches, even though several volunteers claimed they would do so.
> > It has been the main reason I shelled out €20 for a week of internet
> > access during my spring vacation.
>
> And to add insult to injury, people don't even run "make check" on
> submitted patches even if they are _supposed_ to change the typeset
> result.

I agree.  Given your limited computing power, you are the very
last person who should be running Patchy.

Please stop doing so.  We will let submitted patches accumulate
without reviews until somebody else starts doing this.  If there
are any more Critical issues, then of course this will delay 2.16.
If there are any new contributors who want to get reviews, they
will be turned away disappointed.  If Janek starts submitting
patches, they will go without review and will not be pushed.

We have tried a "soft approach" to get volunteers for this vital
task.  It's time to take a "hard approach".

- Graham

PS if you want to run Patchy on your own patches, then by all
means do so.  But please refuse to check other people's patches,
no matter how urgent the bug or how much the contributor pleads
for reviews.