Re: beam.cc:pure-rest-collision-callback Place on staff lines; issue 246

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: beam.cc:pure-rest-collision-callback Place on staff lines; issue 2468 (issue 6035053)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:31:35 -0700

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 23:29:02 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

http://codereview.appspot.com/6035053/diff/16001/lily/beam.cc
File lily/beam.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6035053/diff/16001/lily/beam.cc#newcode1328
lily/beam.cc:1328: return scm_from_double (0.0);
On 2012/04/25 06:21:29, Keith wrote:
It would seem we do not want an early return in this case; if the beam
direction is not yet know, we would prefer to estimate the rest position
to returning the wrong value.

What would the "wrong value" be here?

0.0, indicating rest on centerline, is the wrong value.  If there is another
voice, the first approximation for the rest is to avoid the other voice.  The
only case where I see it cause trouble is when dots on a rest try to avoid dots
in another voice, as if the rest needed to stay at centerline.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5908043/diff/1/lily/beam.cc#newcode1326
lily/beam.cc:1326: || beam->get_property_data ("direction") ==
ly_symbol2scm ("calculation-in-progress"))