Re: announcing things like Mike's tour in News column?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: announcing things like Mike's tour in News column?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:08:38 +0100

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:00:43PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> On 25 avr. 2012, at 11:53, Graham Percival wrote:
> >
> > If you really really want to have fluff pieces on the main
> > lilypond website, I could imagine us using the top right-hand
> > corner (Mike's "wasted space") for twitter-like announcements of
> > concerts and editions.  Or maybe even using the entire right-hand
> > sidebar (and moving the "quick links" horizontally between the
> > "what is lilypond" and the news).
> >

> I'm a fan!  I think the no-man's-land @ the top right can be
> used for all sorts of announcements no longer than a tweet: new
> LilyPond reports, concert, tours, engraving projects, etc..  It
> can be a rotating thing so that every time someone signs on,
> something different pops up.  I can implement that in 10 minutes
> if people are down.

I'm down with that.  But it'll take you at least 2 hours to make
it play nice with our entire website build system, and I'm not
volunteering to pick up pieces if you get bored halfway through.

> Then, the "news" bit can just be about
> releases.  It can even be renamed to "release news" so as not to
> be confused with "news news."

Nah, leave that alone.  I think that things like Janek's GSoC are
important enough that they should be in the "main news" that
doesn't rotate.