Re: Kicking off GSoC

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Kicking off GSoC
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:24:24 +0200

Hi Mike, Carl & all!

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey Janek!
>
> Congrats again on getting accepted for GSoC.  Reading the mentoring guide,
> there are a lot of "getting to know you and the project" bits that we've
> already done, so we can more or less get right to work.  A few things:

> 3)  It'd be good to have one long meeting to kick off the project.  If you
> could factor that into your timeline, I can carve out the time needed for
> that.  Ideally, we'd go over each issue and identify a code-map so that you
> hit the ground running.

Definitely a good idea!  Shall we skype?

> 1)  Could you send me the finalized version of your timeline?

There's an unexpected problem: i caught some virus and i'm getting
ill.  It's too early to say whether i'll be able to do some serious
work in the next week or i'll have to stay in bed, which is extremely
unfortunate since i have a short holiday on my university and it would
be perfect to use it for GSoC... :(
If i'll stay usable, here's the plan:
Till sunday i'll be drawing an outline of the architecture myself,
reading relevant code and writing down any questions related to
general design.
In the next week, we'd discuss general architecture design; list
object properties and methods that need to be created. Determine how
to harvest information about horizontal spacing and what changes in
horizontal spacing engine will be necessary. (May 1-4 would be a good
time for the high-octane meeting on chat, if i stay usable).
The rest of the plan stays unchanged - i guess it'd be hard to make
corrections before our chat.

> 2)  I'm assuming that midterm reports are due for me when they're due for
> you, but could you double check on that?

That's what GSoC FAQ says: "July 9:19:00 UTC    Mentors and students can
begin submitting mid-term evaluations."
It's possible that Google will ask mentors for some initial opinions
about thier students when the "community bonding" period ends and
first payments are issued (~20 May).  I'm sure GNU admin will kepp you
informed.

> P.S. I'm starting off by ccing LilyDevel for all my GSoC communication in
> case others want to chime in.  If for whatever reason people on the list or
> you don't want this, I can just e-mail you directly w/o ccing the list.

I'm fine with ccing - the more transparency the better.  Putting GSOC
into subject should be enough to allow other to filter it, i think.

cheers,
Janek

...and wish me good health. oh my God...