Re: Lilypond patchy and other Lilypond problems

From: James
Subject: Re: Lilypond patchy and other Lilypond problems
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:38:14 +0100

Hello,

2012/4/26 Łukasz Czerwiński <address@hidden>:

> On 26 April 2012 09:05, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> I've run patchy-test just now for the three patches outstanding this
>> morning. It's no a big deal, I've just never got round to running the
>> patchy-test scripts (well since the scripts were very first created
>> when I had trouble understanding them), so don't worry about patches
>> David now, I'll pick up the slack here.
>

> Thanks, James! That's really great! :)

No problem, but it doesn't mean that you can just do some code and
throw it up for review without ANY basic testing your side, it should
apply to current tree and it should also pass a basic 'make'.

I am sure you are aware of that courtesy. It is true that Patchy does
this also and so catches the basic mistakes, but patchy's main goal is
to take away the more intensive 'make test' from developers which can
take a long time on less powerful machines.

Also patchy testers are not (usually) programmers - like me for
instance - so I'm not going to go into much detail; if patchy shows up
regressions then that is easy to spot - that is a web page for me to
see, but more subtle 'make' problems or 'patch apply' problems

Like this this morning - see comment #1

are going to get a 'failed - patch doesn't apply' or 'failed to make'
messages and not much else. Hence the need for some basic housekeeping
on your side.

> Mike, Graham and David wrote about more or less automatic running of tests
> and presenting only the results, possibly on an unused computer.
>
> I realised that I have a server on Dreamhost that probably could be such a
> computer - there is unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth (to some
> extend, I guess, but that will be enough for us). Now I'm trying to compile
> Lilypond on it - there are some libraries missing, I'm in progress of
> figuring out whether I can install it locally (it's a shared server, not a
> private one, so I don't have root on it).

Did you look at LilyDev? This is specifically aimed at LilyPond
developers who don't have the time or inclination to set up their dev
build.

It's got pretty much all you need right there and yuo can be up and
running in a few minutes (once you have it installed).

LilyDev is a pre-built Ubuntu dist with all the dependencies. I run it
in a VM (I use KVM at home but Virtual Box at work). It might be
simpler.

See:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/installing-lilydev

The instructions have been updates significantly but I am sure you can
understand how to install an OS using an ISO file.

> On 26 April 2012 11:43, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> Still requires 'someone' to 'do' something and then say 'LGTM' and I
>> don't know what the feed back has been with regard to the
>>

>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/grand-regression-test-checking.html
>>
>> is this just not the same thing in essence?
>

> Woow, what's that: http://www.philholmes.net/lilypond/regtests/ for? Is it
> for rating regression tests or for rating that particular result of a
> particular test run?

Phil does a pixel comparison reg test between *releases*

i.e.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-11/msg00078.html

and has some programming experience so this is an offshoot of what he
does with the project anyway and he offered this as a service, I am
sure he will fill you in (I cannot find he original email I think he
sent out).

James