Re: CG guide to building GUB (issue 6199045)

From: graham
Subject: Re: CG guide to building GUB (issue 6199045)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 11:27:47 +0000

great start; a few notes for you or James to investigate.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi
File Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi#newcode1517
Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi:1517: you will have to start
again.  64 GBytes should be sufficient.
I'm quite happy with recommending a large disk size for this, but my own
gub/ dir (including target/) is 14 megs, and that directory is untouched
since building 2.15.38.

If yours is larger, do you have multiple target/ directories (i.e. a
backup?), or is it because the filesystem itself only stores larger
files, or lots of old regtest tarballs, or...?

again, I'm totally on board with recommending a large disk.  I just
think it would be good to investigate this discrepancy.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi#newcode1520
Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi:1520: impossible to restart.
 If at all possible, leave the build to
I'd say "extremely difficult" here, instead of "impossible".  You can
find the package that failed to build, then force a complete rebuild
with some archaic set of commands that are probably listed in the
README, then continue as expected... but it's easier just to nuke the
whole target/ dir and start from scratch.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi#newcode1526
Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi:1526: git clone
git://github.com/janneke/gub.git
please point to my gub dir now, since it has extra bugfixes compared to
Jan's version.
https://github.com/gperciva/gub

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi#newcode1535
Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi:1535:
@uref{http://www.cpan.org/src/5.0/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz}, saving the
could you (or James) double-check this?

According to my notes from 2012 Feb 17, manual attention is only needed
for
  bin/gub tools::netpbm
  bin/gub tools::rsync

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/