Re: CG guide to building GUB (issue 6199045)

From: PhilEHolmes
Subject: Re: CG guide to building GUB (issue 6199045)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 13:06:09 +0000

On 2012/05/06 11:27:47, Graham Percival wrote:
great start; a few notes for you or James to investigate.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi
File Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi#newcode1517
Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi:1517: you will have to
start again.
64 GBytes should be sufficient.
I'm quite happy with recommending a large disk size for this, but my
own gub/
dir (including target/) is 14 megs, and that directory is untouched
since
building 2.15.38.

If yours is larger, do you have multiple target/ directories (i.e. a
backup?),
or is it because the filesystem itself only stores larger files, or
lots of old
regtest tarballs, or...?

again, I'm totally on board with recommending a large disk.  I just
think it
would be good to investigate this discrepancy.

The filesystem I created was 64 Gigs, and it shows 36.8 free - so 30
gigs is the bare minimum.  My GUB directory is about 12 Gigs, and my
total file size is around 17 Gigs, so there's other stuff like file
system overhead, swap, etc., using up some other space.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi#newcode1520
Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi:1520: impossible to
restart.  If at
all possible, leave the build to
I'd say "extremely difficult" here, instead of "impossible".  You can
find the
package that failed to build, then force a complete rebuild with some
archaic
set of commands that are probably listed in the README, then continue
as
expected... but it's easier just to nuke the whole target/ dir and
start from
scratch.

I've changed it to say "almost impossible".

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi#newcode1526
Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi:1526: git clone
git://github.com/janneke/gub.git
please point to my gub dir now, since it has extra bugfixes compared
to Jan's
version.
https://github.com/gperciva/gub

I assume git://github.com/gperciva/gub is the correct syntax for the git
clone?

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi#newcode1535
Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi:1535:
@uref{http://www.cpan.org/src/5.0/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz}, saving the
could you (or James) double-check this?

According to my notes from 2012 Feb 17, manual attention is only
needed for
   bin/gub tools::netpbm
   bin/gub tools::rsync

It did fail for me consistently, a number of times.  However, I'm only
really giving it as an example of what to do if any package fails to
download.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199045/