Re: Ponding croaks

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Ponding croaks
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 10:00:09 +0200

On 7 mai 2012, at 09:26, David Kastrup wrote:

Perhaps we should include croaks in the pondings (somewhat akin to
Bleats <URL:http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/111003>):
interesting LilyPond oneliners, not necessarily restrained to 12
characters, and their output.

This seems a bit long for the upper right corner - could you provide more info?

It's important that these things lend credibility to LilyPond.  If they're inside jokes or code humor, they may push people away.  It would have to be accessible and understandable - something that makes them want to use LilyPond.

I am all for, however, "Did you know" type of info (i.e. Did you know that Han-Wen Nienhuys made LilyPond public today in 199X). That creates a sort of festive nature around LilyPond and everyone can appreciate it.  I'm also down with stuff like http://supercollider.sourceforge.net/sc140/ - something that a user can copy and paste into LilyPond and say "holy shit, that does THAT!"

For me, the bottom line of Pondings is one of inclusivity.  They need to make people feel good about wanting to try out LilyPond, feel like their musical activities are not so far away from ours, and feel like they can belong to the community.

Cheers,
MS