Re: Doc build hanging (with memory leak?)

From: James
Subject: Re: Doc build hanging (with memory leak?)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 16:22:19 +0100

hello,

On 12 May 2012 14:24, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/05/12 14:29, James wrote:
>>
>> Assuming you are building from current master then make doc does
>> compile as all new checkins go to staging tree first and sit there
>> while a script runs (as it happens on my computer) that compiles
>> staging through all the tests and if it passes them all (and that
>> includes a make doc) it merges the staging branch to master.
>

> Yea, it built fine in the end once dblatex was installed.  It was just scary
> having an initial command issued by make which just sat there for 10+
> minutes doing nothing while the memory usage went up and up.  Completely
> different to what I'd experienced with earlier builds of the docs.
>
> A small word to this effect might be a nice addition to the contributor
> guide (I'll make a patch if you like).

Sure go ahead.

>> My only advice having built docs and gone through all the pain of a
>> non-programmer building doc is to use an out of tree build
>

> Yes, I followed that advice from the guide.  Is it a recent addition?  I
> don't remember it from the last time I looked at the guide, which was
> probably 6+ months back.

Not sure, but the CG is constantly changing, or rather constantly
being 'added' to and evolving. There have been *significant*
under-the-hood changes to the whole build system not least Phil's work
on reducing the sheer number of output lines - I recall that you can
increase the logging if you want to (I don't and haven't bothered to
look that up in he CG to see if it exists but I think it does) - and
some issues with translations that caused extraneous/erroneous errors
that would increase the time it takes to build doc. You can also now
use the LANG option to just build the language you need (again see the
CG).

>> I've found it makes this so much more easier especially when you have
>> a slower machine where make doc can take an age.
>

> On my quad-core i7 it took about 35 minutes in total to build doc-stage-1,
> the first 10-12 minutes of which were the seeming "hang" I reported.  I
> remember it used to take much, much, much longer on the machine I had 6
> months back, but there was plenty flashing past in the terminal window to
> make it clear something was happening!

Yes and most of it was warnings and errors that were 'harmless'.

Most of the heavy lifting with regard to fixing this was done by
multi-core CPU machines (Phil and myself) which have helped take the
tedium of checking building doc and the like allowing for much more
'quick' testing of fixes to the build system - we both manage build a
brand new make doc from scratch in less than 15 minutes! So can forget
sometimes what building doc looks like on a less powered machine.

> If I understand right, that first documentation build command is making all
> the PNG, PS and PDF files for LP snippets -- right? -- which if my
> estimation is correct are a bit over 10,000 in number.  So no wonder it
> takes so long.

Something like that yes. As a non-programmer I just 'test' what is
done and give the results. I don't pretend to understand what the
changes are ;)

Regards

James