Re: Doc: NR clarified \footnote command as a TextScript (issue 6137050)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Doc: NR clarified \footnote command as a TextScript (issue 6137050)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 19:31:57 +0000

On 2012/05/12 19:25:34, dak wrote:
On 2012/05/12 19:11:44, dak wrote:
> On 2012/05/12 18:36:56, Keith wrote:
> >
> > File Documentation/notation/input.itely (right):
> >

> > Documentation/notation/input.itely:1073: >1
> >     >2
> >
> >     \breathe
> >     c2
> >     \footnote #'(0.5 . 0.5) #'BreathingSign \markup { Breathe }
> >
> > The \breathe example is more normal-looking here.
> Not exactly the most intuitive order I have to say.  \breathe does
not take a
> postevent, though, so the alternative would be the use of
> <>\footnote or equivalent, either before or after \breathe itself:
> \breathe creates an event without duration.
> This is one case where the postevent order is not helpful, because
the thing
> want to modify itself does not take a postevent.  Putting the
postevent on c2
> instead delivers it at the right point of time, but this is plainly
> counterintuitive.

\footnote #'(0.5 . 0.5) #'BreathingSign \markup { Breathe }

does work: turning \breathe explicitly into a postevent makes the
arrangement in
toto somewhat more natural, even though having the \breathe after the
note is a
bit surprising.

But a bit less jarring than the alternative.

Sigh.  I take that back.  It is more or less a historical accident that
\breathe is defined as a music function (and thus can be used in the
place of an explicit postevent).  The purported reason told in comments
in for that redefinition does not exist anymore,
and the plainer replacement
breathe = #(make-music 'BreathingEvent)
does not work as postevent, so comparable expressions would also not

That's really starting to look like a case for <>\footnote or
equivalent.  Or leave it like Keith proposed.