Re: Server at Paris VIII

From: James
Subject: Re: Server at Paris VIII
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 11:52:13 +0100

Hello,

On 13 May 2012 11:41, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>

To add to Phil's comments and not wanting to turn this into an IT
headache, if it does have enough cores (and RAM although unless
someone suddenty sets up a massive set of concurrent makes, it is
rarely an issue) that you set up a 'Virtual Infrastructure' and have a
number of Virtual Machines - that way it is easy to segregate Patchy
from letting users in and also for the other possible stuff (mediawiki
LSR etc.).

While Virtualbox is good, I would not use it as a Virtual
Infrastructure, but use Linux's KVM. It seems to have much better
'resource sharing' - I can appear to have 15 CPUs running at once when
in fact I have half that. It does pretty good resource sharing.

However this isn't really the place for that discussion now.

What I would say though Mike is think small first, find the spec and
get patchy-merge working, see how much that uses in 'real life' in
terms of cycles and go from there. I'd give priority to automatic
build then 'websitey' things before dev SSH access. Just because those
are easily controlled.

James