Re: \tuplet and \tupletSpan to replace \times and tupletSpannerDuration

From: tdanielsmusic
Subject: Re: \tuplet and \tupletSpan to replace \times and tupletSpannerDuration (issue 7094044)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 16:59:48 +0000

On 2013/01/12 16:35:17, dak wrote:
On 2013/01/12 16:16:55, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> I prefer \tupletSpan \default too, but I don't think we should
> advise users not to use \tupletSpan.

The disadvantage of \tupletSpan is that it makes a non-local change.
That's not
copy&paste friendly and leads to non-self-contained code pieces.

True, but don't all context properties do that?  Many pieces
will use the same value of tuplet span throughout.

There is also the consideration that
if you are having nested \tuplet commands, specifying \tupletSpan
becomes
non-trivial as it has to be specified as "absolute" timing whereas the
duration
given to the \tuplet argument is scaled together with its contents

That's more significant.  The user-level docs will need to
warn about this.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7094044/