2.18

From: David Kastrup
Subject: 2.18
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:05:28 +0200

Ok, nobody including myself bothered reverting

commit 88d306d9c5666b5ade4a136df29cca19c5ff5ed7
Author: Mike Solomon <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Apr 6 09:54:58 2013 +0200

    Break slurs between alternative endings in repeats; issue 1698.

    Create new event-types BreakPhrasingSlurEvent BreakSlurEvent,
    and a music-function \free so that users can create them.
    Create these event-types in the volta-repeat-iterator to break
    slurs between alternatives in a \repeat volta structure.

in time for 2.17.16 and it is clearly unfit for releasing in 2.18 (new
functionality, new interfaces, change of behavior without significant
exposure, no documentation).  I propose reverting it now and move it
along with all its related followup and refinement work into 2.19 once
2.18 is released.

We should have at least two more development releases for the
fine-polishing before forking stable.  That gives us four weeks, and
most things of some substance should be done in the first half of that.
Two things I consider important for 2.17.17 are the strokeadjust changes
for PostScript output, and the vertical rest positioning.  I am working
on the strokeadjust stuff, and the rest positioning really needs as much
feedback as possible regarding correct behavior in the standard staff
case, and desirable behavior in the tablature and drum staff cases.

Any changes we make here should not be subjected to further
back-and-forth, so we should really make sure to hit the mark.  I'd want
to have 2.18.1 and following to really just focus on bug fixes rather
than behavioral changes.

Why these two changes?  Because both are egg-in-our-face material
affecting the whole online presentation of LilyPond and our showcase
material in the introductory sections.  I'd hate to see the current
behavior define our public presentation of "stable" for the next year to
come.