Re: improving our workflow with better tools - let's test things.

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: improving our workflow with better tools - let's test things.
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:45:11 +0200

On 21/10/13 11:11, David Kastrup wrote:
Now it's rather hard to do a proper balance of the merits: basically we
are not aiming for a "I could discipline myself into using xxx" verdict
but rather for "this will definitely make things quite easier for me in
the long run" for a majority of existing and potential contributors.

Now testing a setup is, in a way, sort of an intellectual challenge,
costs energy, and one is understandably proud if one masters such a
challenge and does not want this work to go to waste.

Well, it depends on the overall outcome. There's no shame in coming to the conclusion "OK, I spent a lot of time mastering that tool and in so doing I proved definitively that it doesn't work as well as other stuff I know."

I may be very critical of Lilypond's existing tools, but I'm not going to try and push you towards an inadequate development environment just because I spent time trying to get it to work.

But in the end, of course we are interested most in those experiments
which ended up not challenging at all, at least from the user side.

I'd rather have people try out five tools in a rather shallow fashion
and report back their relative impressions than have five different
people involve themselves deeply with a particular setup.  That way we
lose the focus on "easy for the casual user" and lose the comparison.

Casual impressions of GitLab: it seems to offer broadly the same scope of functionality as GitHub (it's much more feature-complete and user-friendly compared to Gitorious). There are lots of little ways in which it is less user-friendly than GitHub; none of them are showstoppers, but any of them would be annoying to someone used to GitHub workflows.

One single example: if you rebase and force-push a branch, open merge requests won't automatically pick up on the new code; you have to manually edit the merge request. It's two mouse clicks -- click "Edit", click "Save changes" -- but that's two mouse clicks you don't need in GitHub.

It's a promising tool but not a perfect one, and it's playing catch-up with the state-of-the-art.