Re: Website questions: Manual->Web

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Website questions: Manual->Web
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 07:27:49 -0800 (PST)

Urs Liska wrote
> But clicking on "Web (split HTML)" brings you to a copy of the whole
> website, just several directories below the original.
> This is irritating, to say the least.

I agree that this does not make sense for someone browsing the website, and
the text does not really explain what's going on with this manual very well.
Maybe "Website" instead of "Web" as a tab/heading would help make things
clearer, along with revising the text as you suggest.

Another consideration is "duplicate content":
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359

As I understand it, best practices (according to Google) is to either
minimize or remove such duplicate content or use "canonicalization" to
indicate the preferred / canonical pages:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066

Usually this works by putting <link rel="canonical"
href="http://www.example.com/etc/etc.html";> in the <head> of any
non-canonical page, pointing to the canonical page.

I think the links in the other manuals that point to the website manual are
done that way so that they will work in a downloaded local copy of the
manuals when you are offline.  So that makes things tricky.

In an offline local copy we have:
manuals / website
whereas on the website it's:
websiteA / manuals / websiteB

One possibility: use 301 redirects (in the site's .htaccess file) to point
from the pages/urls in websiteB to the same pages/urls in websiteA.  Then
all the links in the manuals would work as expected both on the website and
in local downloaded files.  On the website people would always land on the
"canonical" web pages (websiteA), and offline the links would still work
fine in local copies of the documentation.

Maintenance: the URLs in the 301 redirects would have to be updated with
each release of LilyPond since the current version of LilyPond is part of
the URLs.

Under this scenario you could either keep or remove the link to "Web (split
HTML)".  I don't see a reason to keep it, but if you did the 301 redirects
would mean it would just take you to the website's home page.

-Paul