Re: proposal for a \magnifyMusic command

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: proposal for a \magnifyMusic command
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 14:47:11 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, so I was able to suppress the smaller accidentals with
some scheme code, now all I need to do is figure out how to
align the stems properly:

Currently, merged note heads with different stem-directions
are left-aligned with each other, even if they have
different font-sizes.  However, when the note head sizes
differ, if the smaller note head is stemmed up, it should be
*right-aligned* with the larger note head.  Conversely, if
the smaller note head is stemmed down, it should be
*left-aligned* with the larger note head.

How can I get LilyPond to align the stems this way without
needing a new tweak every time there's a merge?  If there is
a way to access one NoteHead grob from another NoteHead grob
that it is merged with, I could probably do it myself in
scheme; but is there a way?  Here's the code for the
attached merge-alignment.png file:

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice {
    \override NoteHead.layer = 2
    \override Stem.layer = 2
    \set fontSize = -4
    \voiceOne b'4 \voiceTwo b'
  }
  \new Voice {
    \override NoteHead.color = #red
    \override Stem.color = #red
    \voiceTwo b'4 \voiceOne b'
  }

I think it would be great to offer the \magnifyMusic
feature, since this type of notation is fairly common (at
least in the mid- to late-Romantic piano repertoire) but the
stem alignment needs to be solved first.

Thanks!
- Mark