Next step for easier custom music font switching

From: tisimst
Subject: Next step for easier custom music font switching
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 07:48:55 -0700 (PDT)

So, Urs and I have been discussing how we might proceed to make alternate
music fonts more publicly available and I thought I'd bring the discussion
here since there are some decisions to be made regarding how users would
experience the change.

- Question 1: *Should the new syntax be something like this?* (where the
music and piano-brace fonts are put at the first)

\paper {
  #(define fonts
    (make-pango-font-tree
    *"lilyjazz"*  ; music font
    *"gonville"*  ; piano brace font
    "FreeSerif"
    "FreeSans"
    "Inconsolata"
    (/ staff-height pt 20)))
}

- Question 2: *Should we require the new fonts to be in the same folder as
Emmentaler?* Most users won't know where this is and would more likely want
to just install the fonts in the usual system fonts folder with all the
other text fonts. Pango seems to know where this folder is, so it wouldn't
need to be hard-coded like it currently is in "lily/font-config.cc".

- Question 3: *Should we require a font file for each of the optical sizes
even though Emmentaler is the ONLY font, currently, that supports this? Or
can we make it possible to have a single music/brace font file?* As it
stands, with the new music fonts I've made, I create a separate file for
each of the optical sizes, even though they are all actually identical. I
guess all I'm saying is that we can keep this requirement, but it seems like
it would be nice to allow for a single font when there's only one size
available. It would make things a little simpler for the user when they are
installing things.

Urs has kindly volunteered to host the fonts on www.openlilylib.org, so that
will be taken care of.

What think ye?