Re: Add original-breaks.ly commands (issue 150670043 by address@hidden)

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Add original-breaks.ly commands (issue 150670043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 23:44:31 +0200

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 10:21:45AM +0000, address@hidden
> wrote:
> > I've not followed the corresponding email discussion closely, and maybe
> > I've missed something, but how is this better than simply using \obreak
> > for an original break, and \nbreak for a new, required, break, having
> > defined
> >
> > obreak = \break
> > nbreak = <>
> > That seems so simple anyone can do it without adding anything to the
> > base code and almost a page to the documentation.
>
> This method is already in the documentation!  At least, it used to
> be... Learning Manual, "tips for typesetting" or something like
> that?  it's just possible it was moved to Notation or Usage at
> some point.  But it was definitely in the docs ten years ago.
> (yes, literally 10 years ago.  Mao, where did the time go?)

It's actually in Usage:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/typesetting-existing-music

But it's not enough, you should also use the information provided here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/explicit-breaks

```
There are cases when manual \break or \pageBreak commands are ignored by
LilyPond. There are two commands to override this behavior:

\override NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = ##f
\override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f
```