Re: GUB update

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GUB update
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 20:15:33 +0200

Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

> Keen observers will have noticed that I've not been able to keep to my
> normal schedule of LilyPond releases.  The is down to the fact that
> some of the recent patches are not compatible with the original GCC
> version in te GUB repo.  I've been working on updating this, but
> having problems getting one od its dependencies (MPFR) at the the
> correct revision level.  I concluded that it might be simplest to
> create a new VM with an updated version of GUB on my build machine.
> This then meant I needed to check I had enough disk space and
> discovered my stash of old builds had nearly run me out of hard disk.
> So I've offloaded them onto a NAS drive, but I still need to carefully
> update all the versions in the GUB repo and create a new VM.

This sounds like a solid bout of work even without the following:

> Added to this, I'm rehearsing for HMS Pinafore right now (performance
> in 10 days) and have just had a new BMW i3 delivered, so playing with
> that.

Thanks for trying to get this under wraps!  In the long run, it might
make sense to phase out some architectures.  I think that at least the
MacOSX PowerPC installations are not likely to see much LilyPond action
any more (or vice versa).