Re: make pretty-print available in ly files (issue 222810043 by address@

From: dak
Subject: Re: make pretty-print available in ly files (issue 222810043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 11:14:54 +0000

On 2015/04/08 10:43:09, thomasmorley651 wrote:
On 2015/04/08 10:21:55, dak wrote:

> value->lily-string is probably the most useful reasonably generic
printing
> facility right now.  But nobody really knows it.

At least, I wasn't aware of it, because of (in a ly-file)

#(display value->lily-string)
-> Unbound variable: value->lily-string

Like with much of the Scheme-level printing you'll need
#(use-modules (scm display-lily))

It's not been around for long in its current form (and name) anyway.  It
became an exported function under that name with
commit 8d8e8aec6388fbb08ed2219884b82ecf53a9dbcd
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Wed Jan 1 20:54:15 2014 +0100

    Provide value->lily-string function

because I really needed that facility in order to make nice error
messages.  It's in 2.19.1 and 2.18.0 I think, as part of issue 3770.

At some point of time, somebody needs to make some sort of plan along
the lines of "what kind of functions and programming facilities are
needed for working with LilyPond in a coherent and predictable and
comfortable manner" and put it into code.  It is quite too often that
one runs into the "I cannot believe LilyPond does not have something
obvious for such an obvious task like $x" situation.

https://codereview.appspot.com/222810043/