Re: Add sans-serif and monospace fonts (issue 224800043 by address@hidde

From: lemzwerg
Subject: Re: Add sans-serif and monospace fonts (issue 224800043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 05:32:28 +0000

Letting PostScript ask for Helvetica which will let GhostScript
fall back to the URW version when the original Helvetica is not
available.  If I understand correctly, we currently ask for and
embed the URW version.  But maybe printers have their own way
to resubstitute the original.  No idea.

Today, it is very important to *embed* fonts since the world has changed
from PS to PDF, and assuming that the original PS fonts are available
everywhere is no longer true.  So asking for and embedding the free URW
fonts is the right way to go.

An additional bonus is that the URW fonts come with more glyphs than the
original Adobe fonts.  Additionally, Adobe itself distributed multiple
variants of its core PS fonts, depending on the locale – for example, I
have the AFM files for the font versions with 229 and 313 glyphs,
respectively.  In summary, there is no such thing as the `original
Helvetica' that works everywhere as soon as you are using some non-ASCII
glyphs...

https://codereview.appspot.com/224800043/