Re: Fix issue 4355 -- broken beam subdivision (issue 226700043 by addres

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Fix issue 4355 -- broken beam subdivision (issue 226700043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:37:55 +0200

Am 25.04.2015 um 13:58 schrieb Urs Liska:

Am 25.04.2015 um 13:33 schrieb address@hidden:
Reviewers: lemzwerg, uliska,

Message:
Ok, so let me see if I understand what you are saying.

Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure if I understand your questions correctly, so I'm not sure if my answers will make perfect sense to you ...

When we choose to subdivide beams with a given baseMoment, there should
be a subdivision at baseMoment and at every even interval larger than
that.

So if we have a baseMoment of 1/32, we should subdivide at 1/32, 1/16,
and 1/8.

That depends on how you mean that.
Subdivisions should be present at each 32nd note hear, as 1/32, 2/32 .. n/32. But they should have different numbers of beams. But you can also see that as "layered" subdivisions.

I think that could be a viable approach:
- start with the larges value (1/8) and determine all possible subdivision points
  (having 1 beam)
- go on to 16th notes and determine all possible subdivision points
  (having 2 beams) and apply them to all where 1/8 didn't already match
- go on until you reach baseMoment.

In that context I'd like to raise the question if baseMoment really is the appropriate property for configuring beamSubdivision or if it shouldn't have a dedicated property. Changing baseMoment might have side-effects on other aspects of the engraving that may or may not be intended.

What would you think of the following interface:

\set beamSubdivision = ##t behaves as currently (fetch value from baseMoment) \set beamSubdivision = #(ly:make-moment 1 16) sets the division frequency to an explicit value.

That way we
- don't need a new property
- decouple subdivision frequency from baseMoment
- don't break existing code

Urs

Urs