Re: [wish] Remove \skip duration in Lyrics

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: [wish] Remove \skip duration in Lyrics
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:58:04 -0700 (MST)

Trevor,

Thanks for your reply.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Trevor Daniels [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> Abraham Lee wrote Monday, April 27, 2015 5:39 PM
>
> > I've seen lately a handful of users using (and suggesting to others) the
> > single underscore "_" syntax to skip syllables in lyrics instead of
> "\skip
> > X", which I think is a mistake when it's obvious they did not intend to
> > make a melisma. It works, except the lyrics get left-aligned to the
> first
> > note.
>
> Yes.  I've actually not seen many recently, and the manuals advise against
> it,
> for the reason you give.
>
> > I am wondering if anyone has a better suggestion for a pure skipped
> > syllable to replace "\skip X" since the duration "X" doesn't matter at
> all.
> > It's easy enough to create a replacement macro like:
>
> I usually suggest using " ", if just one or two syllables are involved.

This has the same problem with syllable horizontal alignment, I've
discovered, as the single underscore in both 2.18.2 and 2.19.18. Only the
empty string "" gives the correct placement of the previous syllable.

> > OR, it could use the number to say *how many syllables to skip* instead
> of
> > a duration. I'm thinking about the instances where I've seen (and used)
> > something like:
> >
> > skipFour = \repeat unfold 4 { \skip 4 }
>
> For longer durations I know of no alternative.  What you suggest seems
> sensible in a Lyrics context, but it would break backwards compatibility.
> And it has been suggested before:
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1330
>
> Trevor

This is true, but aren't there lots of things that aren't backward
compatible? This isn't urgent, but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to
implement either. I'm just not as versed in Scheme as I'd like to be (but
I'm working on that), and think the best solution might come from that
realm. I'm always happy to be proved wrong, though :-)

- Abraham