Re: Stepping up, contributor mentoring

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Stepping up, contributor mentoring
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:40:01 +0100

> Hi all, I'm back.

Excellent news that could not have come at a better time.

> So, are there any vacancies on the Bug Squad?

I vaguely fear so.  In spite of the Bug Squad's importance I've been
lousy at keeping track of it and motivating people.  So I suspect people
dropped out of the Squad silently because of not feeling useful or
appreciated.  I sure hope my vague handwavy impression will be proven
wrong here...

> I've signed up for sourceforge (username: gperciva).  Other than that,
> my primary interest remains in organization / mentoring new
> contributors.  Has anything changed in regards to that in the past
> four years?

Organization/mentoring have not been done in an organized manner but by
people picking up requests and pieces as they saw fit.  Or not.

> Or shall I jump straight in?  I see that "Contributor 1.4 Mentors"
> hasn't changed.

The organizational sections of the documentation have not seen much of
an update.  More work has been invested in what one may call the
self-help material.

You'll probably be able to pick up annoyingly close to where you stepped
off.

> Anything else I should know?  I've skimmed the past month of this
> mailing list.

Translations are not up to date apart from Romance languages: French,
Italian, Catalan are kept up pretty actively.

> (I was planning on waiting until the new year, but David's news
> made me re-evaluate my health now, and I think I have the energy
> to take on more stuff.  To make a long story short: depression,
> burnout, quit academia, moved back to Vancouver, recovery.  Also,
> started ballroom and swing dancing!  Great fun, absolutely
> recommended, *especially* for other shy, socially anxious computer
> geeks.  Despite that help, I'm still not 100% recovered, but I'm
> content with my progress, and I think that doing more volunteer
> work will help.)

Well, it will certainly be welcome.  Just keep tabs on how you are
faring.  You'll have one nay-sayer less around, but LilyPond is still
not a lightweight to swing about.