Requirements for Running LilyPond

From: James
Subject: Requirements for Running LilyPond
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 16:56:59 +0000

Hello,

This subsection has always puzzled me a bit.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor-big-page#requirements-for-running-lilypond

If I were a user on Windows or MacOS I know I don't need any of this software to 'run' LilyPond because, I assume, we provide everything in the standalone binaries we compile for these operating systems.

I had initially thought this section should be moved to 'Usage' under the 'Running LilyPond' section but after reasoning as I have above it evidently is not appropriate there.

So is this section just for Linux (and maybe FreeBSD) users?

Or is this section just for users that are building from source AND want to run LilyPond at the same time?

In which case what do I get when I am on Linux and download one of the *.sh files that I then run to 'install' LilyPond?

Thanks for your time.

James