Re: Google SoC

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Google SoC
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 14:59:18 +0200

Am 28.03.2017 um 09:33 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi, Charles!  Welcome to the Pond.
>>
>> I'm listed as the mentor for the internal chord representation project.
>> I'd be anxious to provide you any information that you'd like to have.
> I vaguely seem to remember that in the last month or so _two_ students
> mentioned wanting to work on this particular project.  On the user list?
> There were no followups.  By now I find that slightly bothersome: was
> there something falling through the cracks?

We had a total of seven potential students approaching us so far. One of
them engaged in detailed discussion with Matteo Ceccarello and me, and
did a few qualification tasks. This student has uploaded a draft
submission at the GSoC system.

Two others have written one or more follow-up emails, but I haven't
heard anything from them for a few weeks now. The other four (including
two quite new ones) didn't write anything after their first posts.

What should we do about this, write a general post? Should I write a
(private) email to all of them, encouraging to make a proposal?

Things are more active with Frescobaldi. We had a total of 18 students
getting in touch,
1 submitted draft
4 students have actually contributed small portions of code to
Frescobaldi (although one of them had to call it quits because his
university requires an internship over the summer)
2 have engaged in further exchange
8 without further communication
3 new posts waiting for initial reply from our side

Urs

--
address@hidden
https://openlilylib.org