GSoC application deadline

From: Urs Liska
Subject: GSoC application deadline
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 08:35:38 +0200

Hi all,

this is a message to all students who have expressed interest in GSoC
and LilyPond or Frescobaldi (even those who haven't engaged in further
communication recently). I send it to both mailing lists and all of you
in BCC. If you want to reply please do so to the respective lists rather
than directly. (Well, if you just want to let us know you're not
interested anymore you can do so privately as well.)

We've received many posts from interested students, a number of you have
engaged in further discussion of varying deptgh or have even laid their
hands on code, but very few have actually submitted anything on the GSoC
site. For all who are interested in participating I strongly recommend
to upload a draft proposal ASAP. Depending on the number of drafts we
will try to review them up-front and can give you recommendation where
we see the need for improvement.

Deadline for applications is Tuesday, April 3, 2017 18:00 (CEST). GSoC
deadlines are "hard" deadlines, there's nothing to be done about missed
dates. And you have to take care for yourself to upload a final version
as well, drafts will not automatically become final applications.

Be sure to review the students manual at
http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/what-is-google-summer-of-code/
and make sure to get everything right.

GSoC is a competitive program, and it looks like there will be more
applications than we will be able to accept - although we have no idea
yet how many slots *we* will get from GSoC. So please try as hard as you
can to write a good proposal but also be prepared to *not* be accepted.
*If* you are not accepted this doesn't mean we don't like your proposal,
the reason can also be that there is simply another proposal for the
same project that has convinced us more, or we can't accept the project
because of our mentoring and slot resources.

# Where to apply?

LilyPond is pretty hard to find on the GSoC site (we will have to make
that clearer next year) because we're not a mentoring organization but
part of GNU. On the organizations page
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations you'll have to find
"The GNU project" - which will only be visible when the page count in
the URL has counted up to 5, which can take a significant amount of
time. So you better go to the project page
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5029441722908672/
directly.

Frescobaldi's project page is
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/6253554806292480/.

# Double application

Those of you who intend to apply for the Frescobaldi projects "Implement
a system to handle scores system by system", "openLilyLib user
interface" or "MusicXML export" may consider applying for both
Frescobaldi *and* LilyPond (with an identical proposal), as these can
reasonably be justified in both organizations. This may help us
distributing our mentoring and slot resources and thus increase your
chances of being accepted. Keep in mind that you may apply for up to
five GSoC projects.

Best wishes and good luck
Urs

--