Re: Create engravers for merging rests (issue 321930043 by address@hidde

From: horndude77
Subject: Re: Create engravers for merging rests (issue 321930043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 13:03:43 -0700

On 2017/05/21 17:12:26, thomasmorley651 wrote:
> I'd like to mention another point:
> What to do with pitched rests and rests with user-set
staff-position, merge
them
> automatically to the zero-position?

If a user has explicitly set the position of a rest this should be
honoured
by default, I think ...

Done. If the staff-position property is set it won't attempt to merge
rests at that position. Seems to work well.

> I'd say using suspendRestMerging-property is sufficient to cover
this case,
but
> this is only me. Other opinions?

... unless some property (mergePitchedRests?) is set true.

I didn't create another property for overriding this behavior. Merging
pitched rests could behave unexpectedly for some users - should one of
the merged rests pitches be respected or should they be at the single
voice position? Also, I'd hate to add a property like this which I'd
expect to be rarely used. It can be worked around with tags (i.e.
pitched rest for the single part, normal rest for combined part). If in
the future there's a need it could be added when the use cases are
better understood.

https://codereview.appspot.com/321930043/