Re: Using/requiring Cairo

From: karl
Subject: Re: Using/requiring Cairo
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 12:39:30 +0200 (CEST)

David
> address@hidden writes:
> > Werner:
> >>
> >> Have you tried `pdftk' to uncompress a PDF file?  It's then almost as
> >> readable as a plain PS file (see attachments).
> >
> > No, it looks promising, thanks, now I have to find out how it does
> > that.

Found out that there is no public source:
 https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/
it is based in iText lib, which (or OpenPDF) I could use if I want to
use java.

I could possible use
 svn co http://svn.code.sf.net/p/podofo/code/podofo/trunk podofo
or try to desciffre libpoppler.

> Depending on what "Extract the info you want from PDFs" means, pdf2dsc
> can be quite handy.

Thanks, but it is not helping. I want to find lines and text in pdfs,
to basically identify tables. Since pdf is not much more structered than
ps I have to use clever thinking. If you really want to help have a
look at: http://aspodata.se/git/openhw/pdftosym/pdfextr.pl

My point was:
> > Though, my conclusion was that pdf is not better than ps regarding
> > postprocessing, and yes I know that pdf (depending on pdf version) has
> > some features that ps don't have.
>
> But nobody is talking about PDF.

You seem to have a short memory, from your initial message:
  last time I looked at Cairo, its PDF generation was not really suitable
  We might also be able to forego creating PostScript as an intermediate
  stage to creating PDF and create bitmap formats without using PostScript
  as well (again, this should really speed up things).

> The difference in question is
> Cairo-generated PostScript vs the PostScript generated by Scheme
> programming and LilyPond's music-drawing-routines.ps and encodingdefs.ps
> .

The Cairo-generated ps is much less readable than lilyponds.

If you wanted to get rid of the lilyponds own generation of PS, I
offered my help to get it up to speed instead, but you didn't
understand that since:

> >> "taking care of PostScript" is not related to converting LilyPond's
> >> graphics internals to Cairo since LilyPond's graphics internals are
> >> not written in PostScript.

You are obviously not understanding my offer and your mind is set on
using cairo instead.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data