Re: LilyDevOS, a LilyDev container + full VM image

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: LilyDevOS, a LilyDev container + full VM image
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 17:58:52 +0200

Il giorno lun 17 lug 2017 alle 10:58, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> ha scritto:

Il giorno sab 15 lug 2017 alle 20:43, Paul <address@hidden> ha scritto:

And I was able to successfully build lilypond in the container. (Look mom, no VM!)

So this is really nice. I can edit files using my usual desktop environment and text editor, then just do git and git-cl via the command line in the container.

One other minor thing is I noticed that trying to run gitk in the container doesn't work:

$ gitk
application-specific initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable Error in startup script: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
    while executing
"load /usr/lib64/libtk8.6.so Tk"
    ("package ifneeded Tk 8.6.6" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Tk"
    (file "/usr/bin/gitk" line 10)

But, it works to run it from a terminal in the host account.

It can work also from the guest if you use the correct DISPLAY environment variable.
Find it in your host with this command:

$ echo $DISPLAY
:0

Then launch gitk from the container with:

$ DISPLAY=:0 gitk

You can use an alias and forget the special command.
Add this line to ~/.bashrc:

# Let gitk work on host display
alias gitk="DISPLAY=:0 gitk"

As .bashrc is the same for container and full VM, I won't add this configuration.
I'll add only a suggestion in the README.

Also, the authentication in git-cl opens a web page in a browser so I'm not sure how that will work from the container?

Good point. I don't think that there's even any browser in the container now. Perhaps I may install a text browser and set the BROWSER environment variable.
I have a small patch to send, I'll let you know how it works.

I've tried lynx, but it's not working correctly.
It ends up with this link: https://codereview.appspot.com/get-access-token?port=8001
but does not go beyond this and I have to cancel with Ctrl+C.

If you want to give it a try:

sudo dnf install lynx

BTW, let me know if the password is working. I'm not sure I've uploaded the correct version..
If it doesn't, use this command as root:

 echo 'dev:lilypond'|chpasswd

Create ~/.lynxrc and add these lines:

ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES=TRUE
PERSISTENT_COOKIES=TRUE
COOKIE_FILE=/home/dev/.lynx_cookies
COOKIE_SAVE_FILE=/home/dev/.lynx_cookies
FORCE_SSL_COOKIES_SECURE=FALSE
AUTO_SESSION=TRUE
SESSION_FILE=/home/dev/.lynx_session