Re: Should we have a from-barline property in analogy to to-barline ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Should we have a from-barline property in analogy to to-barline ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 15:30:26 +0200

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

> On 24.07.2017 13:58, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Seems like an obvious addition.  Would make stuff (like slurs, hairpins
>> and so on) starting at the bar move backwards to the bar line.  Probably
>> also useful for non-spanners like a \fermata ?
>
> I have difficulty imagining use cases. Is to-barline really used for
> anything else than hairpins?

Well, I just put up issue 5161 since I needed slurs to end at a repeat
bar line.

There is the reverse problem at the start of a coda or the start of any
alternative but the first.  You'll have the same basically for hairpins,
of course.  Accordion bellows direction change marks may be placed over
a barline rather than the first following note if the direction does not
change fast again.

> In hairpins there are just those two different conventions (or
> preferences, or use cases) where a (de)crescendo which musically ends
> on the first beat of the next bar may be drawn up to that beat or to
> the barline, but there is no analogy to that at the beginning of the
> bar. (Except that in manuscripts and hand-engravings hairpins often
> don’t align with notes or anything to any kind of precision, so there
> are probably enough examples for hairpins starting on barlines.)  I
> certainly can imagine that _attaching_ spanners, or fermatas, to
> barlines would be great. Which would not involve a from-barline
> property, but rather, … uhm, … making bar lines events? (always? only
> if necessary?) (Standard disclaimer: this is not a serious proposal
> due to my lack of knowledge on implementation)

Making a bar line an event would then place per-chord articulation marks
of the following note on the bar line.  I don't think that this idea is
as good as it may appear to you.