Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1

From: Ken Sharp
Subject: Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:40:48 +0100

At 10:23 22/09/2017 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

If it's a conceivable part of a good longterm strategy: I think our
fonts are generated via Fontforge starting with a METAFONT (or
METAPOST?) font description, so it's conceivable that if other font
formats would generally be better supported by toolchains in general
that we could possibly tell Fontforge to generate other formats.

I have very little clue of what is involved here, and circumnavigating a
possibly temporary Ghostscript bug alone would likely not be enough of
an incentive for investing that work.  It would really depend on the
quality of general support (mostly in the Free Software world) that we
could count on whether format/technology changes make sense here.

I think the most important thing is for me to get a grip on what's actually going on. I believe we intend to improve support for OTF fonts as substitutes for missing Fonts, but that's a long term project, so it only gets worked on when there are free cycles (and not by me any more) so eventually that problem may go away.

But there's no reason to wait for that, it was only a possible way to solve a problem. Looking at the real problems, potentially bugs, that I see is probably more important and more productive.

                        Ken