Re: Use -b together with -dgs-never-embed-fonts (issue 325630043 by addr

From: knupero
Subject: Re: Use -b together with -dgs-never-embed-fonts (issue 325630043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 17:25:17 -0700

Combining them means that the size of the final PDF may be smaller but
the size
of the intermediate PDFs will be larger.
In my experiment, even if there is a bug in gs's full set font
embedding, the
disk size that `make doc` eats has increased.

I did not check that, but I would expect an increase in disk usage for
the build.

If I understand correctly, `--bigpdfs` / `-b` has two effects.
One is to embed full set (non-subset) font.
The other is to define and use some encodings for Emmentaler.

It also changes the way emmentaler glyphs are printed. With --bigpdfs we
use the "show" postscript operator, without it we still use "glyphshow".
And the three emmentaler fonts for every size in the intermediate
versions of our pdfs are not 3 copies of the full emmentaler-xx font but
are three different fonts made of emmentaler-xx glyphs. Those subsets
must not be further subsetted.

No, it is senseless to split -b into separate options.

https://codereview.appspot.com/325630043/