Re: make metronomeMarkFormatter more flexible (issue 327620043 by addres

From: dak
Subject: Re: make metronomeMarkFormatter more flexible (issue 327620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 00:23:51 -0700

On 2017/10/12 06:22:22, Malte Meyn wrote:
On 2017/10/10 18:47:14, Malte Meyn wrote:
> > I think it would make sense to check all forms a \tempo mark
currently can
> take
> > and then see what principal forms those can assume.
>
> […]
>
> I’m not sure what you mean by “principal forms”. Could you explain?
I made a
> list of limitations that the metronome mark formatter currently has:

This is a huge list and I’m not sure everything in that list should be
supported
(and probably I missed some other things that should).

Well, with regard to "should be specifically supported", I'll give you
an emphatic "of course not".  The question is how to make it easiest for
users to do the specific support on their own.  Should we provide markup
functions for the various elements?  Then you can just
\tempo \markup ...
your own mark together.  In that case: how do we do the Midi version?
We could just rely on
\hide \tempo 4. = 60
or similar for that for now.  Not particularly pretty but workable.  But
then we would need to support simultaneous tempo events as long as they
don't produce competing visuals or speeds (separate issue, we don't need
to include this here but it would mean that we can focus on the markup
and not worry about the Midi).

https://codereview.appspot.com/327620043/