Re: OLL-core and Win10 [was Re: edition-editor usage]

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: OLL-core and Win10 [was Re: edition-editor usage]
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 15:50:30 +0100

Am 08.01.2018 um 15:46 schrieb Karlin High:
On 1/8/2018 8:25 AM, Urs Liska wrote:

Could you please check if
a) you can specify the path to the ly file with both forward and backward slashes
b) this makes a difference in the output

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1

C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond>lilypond C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond\ursliska-pathtest.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.19.80
Processing `C:/Users/karlin/Music/LilyPond/ursliska-pathtest.ly'
Parsing...#<location C:/Users/karlin/Music/LilyPond/ursliska-pathtest.ly:7:1>
Success: compilation successfully completed

C:\Users\karlin\Music\LilyPond>lilypond C:/Users/karlin/Music/LilyPond/ursliska-pathtest.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.19.80
Processing `C:/Users/karlin/Music/LilyPond/ursliska-pathtest.ly'
Parsing...#<location C:/Users/karlin/Music/LilyPond/ursliska-pathtest.ly:7:1>
Success: compilation successfully completed

Thank you. Together with Trevor's initial report (from Win 10) this indicates that LilyPond always uses forward slashes internally. Of course that makes things easier for me (although it would be even simpler if I could just leave the code as it is ;-) )

I think I won't wait for feedback from users of Win 8, Vista or XP but simply fix it according to the current knowledge.

I am with David Kastrup on this one - I had no idea Windows learned to understand both back and forward slashes in file paths. But it seems to work; I can "cd" anywhere I want with either. Even with a mixture of the two! However, pressing the TAB key for auto-complete seems to only work properly with Windows-native backslashes.

This looks somewhat consistent to me with the fact that Windows paths ignore case.

Best
Urs